Welcome!

Well here we are living in deepest East Kent. It's better than it sounds!

Monday, June 16, 2008

North Downs 30km (and a kidney stone)

Meanwhile, Indie had a lovely day together back in Kent on Saturday and then on Sunday, Paul and I headed to Gravesend to compete in the Norths Downs 30km tough, hilly, hot, cross country run (sound familiar?). We were using this race as Ironman training and I had persuaded Paul to enter at the last minute.

It was a stunnning course, very up and down, some of the downs so steep it was hard to actually run......poppy fields, woodland sections. It was also probably the best marshalled and signed race I have ever run, full credit to the organisers. It was tough but I enjoyed most of it despite the heat leaving me very thirsty almost the whole race. I was downing two cups of drink every feed station, which then sloshed around in my stomach up and down the hills!

I was pleased with my finish time and for the first time ever I was first Deal Tri lady back!

Paul 3hrs 3mins
Chantal 3hrs 13 mins

But the story doesn't quite end there......shortly after setting out back down the M2, Paul started complaining of back pain and within a few minutes was writhing in absolute agony. He then threw up all over the hard shoulder of the M2 and I began to realise he was proper poorly. Eventually after another puke stop, I got him to Canterbury hospital where they got some pain relief into him pretty quick. Poor bloke, he looked terrible and was in ALOT of pain. It could be the race had dislodged the kidney stone.....anyway, he spent the night in hospital but hopefully they'll get him sorted today. Bet he's glad I persuaded him to do that race......

2 comments:

Simon said...

Lucky he didn't throw up on your soft shoulder!

Anonymous said...

To the author of this blog,I appreciate your effort in this topic.