Welcome!

Well here we are living in deepest East Kent. It's better than it sounds!

Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Cor Blimey - I'm an Ironman!

This is a long post, beware! It was all a bit ominous driving down to Dorset on Friday through the gales and lashing rain, pitching the tent at the Ironman camp site wasn't much fun either....not the greatest start to the weekend. Paul, Shannon and Mark were already at the camp site and me and the boys quickly walked over to the Ironman village by the castle to register. Mark and I went back later to the pasta party, and like the rest of the day, it all seemed a bit cold, wet and glum.

First night's kip in the tent was limited to 3 hours due to a mind full of ironman doubts and the airbed having a leak (the same happened Saturday night despite Chris mending it). I was hoping this run of bad luck with punctures wasn't going to be extended to my bike race!

Saturday afternoon saw Dom arrive, and then Simon, Dom and Tilly - all camping with us (crazy fools, the weather was shocking). Thanks for your support though, it meant alot even though I didn't get to see too much of you.

Got about 3 hours sleep Saturday night, flat airbed again, tent being battered by gales and rain and worries about oversleeping past my 4am get up (oversleeping - very funny)....so I began race day having had 6 hours sleep in 2 nights with strong winds blowing......funnily enough, not feeling too positive at this point!

Got to bike transition about 5.15am, got our tyres pumped and started getting into my westuit when Nikki and Dom told me through the fence that Chris was racing around trying to find me as I had left my timing chip in the tent!!! Said chip duly passed to me by a rather stressed looking Chris and I put it on my ankle before I could lose it again.

We were herded down to the lake at just gone 6am, still pitch dark, 1500 nervous looking athletes....being as tired as I was, I didn't feel overwhelmingly nervous, just had strong desire to lie down somewhere and pretend this wasn't all happening! As we neared the water Tim, Paul, Gary and Mark all wished me luck and then I was swimming out the start line - cold water!! Had to tread water for about 15 minutes whilst all the competitors got near the line and as daylight began to break, we were off. A very rough swim start, got kicked and punched and swum over, spent at least 5 minutes just trying to find enough clear water so I could at least begin my stroke. Swim was 2 laps of the lake and I tried to keep a good line to each end buoy. Very rough again at the buoys, got kicked so hard in the ribs that I felt quite winded. Strange moment at the turnaround for the last leg, looked up to breathe and saw Paul there bobbing by the buoy, so poked my head up and said "Hello Paul" and he said in comedy voice "Hello Chantal" and then off we swum into the washing machine of feet and fists. Glad to finally get hauled out of the water.

Made it through the hectic chaos of transition and was finally out on my bike.......after about 30 seconds, totally regretted not putting arm warmers on, as I was freezing and I stayed freezing until I saw Chris at the end of lap 2 when he chucked me his skinfit top. My feet stayed frozen until 8 hours later, I put my trainers on and started running. I can describe the bike as cold, windy, unrelentingly hilly and pretty bloody miserable. I felt really upset the whole of the first lap, almost on the verge of tears, sick of the cold and the wind and horribly daunted by the miles that lay ahead. Saw Mark and had a little chat (he later told me he thought I might quit). Made myself eat and drink, and although still very cold, cheered up abit as I started my second lap. That was probably my best 37 miles as the last lap felt very hard, the hills seemed to have got longer and steeper, the wind even stronger. My shoulder started to spasm and my back was oh so sore....I had to grit my teeth, not worry about how long it was taking to cover the distance and just keep pedalling to the end of the 112 miles. Just shy of 8 hours later, I got off my bike, so relieved as I knew my ironman was in the bag. As I said to Dom and Nikki as I ran past, I was going to make it!

I had no idea whether I would have any energy left for my run as that bike had really taken it out of me, but I set off at a steady plod and only walked when the hills really got to me (ran up most of them). The mile markers slowly went past, I kept saying to myself, run as far as you can, then you can walk. Past 13 miles, still felt ok, it was a nice feeling NOT being overtaken, I was just running past people the whole marathon. Felt a bit tired at miles 15/16 but got a new spurt of energy, speeded up (or it felt like I did!!) for the rest of it. I was still thinking, you can walk when you truly can't run any further, but that never happened. I was really enjoying the speactator support, didn't mind the hills or the 3 mile muddy off- road section.....and LOVING running past all these super fit looking blokes who were walking! I was truly enjoying the end of my ironman and it really helped compensate for the misery I had felt on the bike. I stopped at every feed station for flat coke and the odd salty pretzel, duly swallowed my gel on the hour and before I knew it, I was in the final section through Sherbourne town...I felt like I was flying (I know I was plodding really!)....I'd seen Gary, Mark and Paul during the 3 laps and I knew I was catching them.

I grabbed India and Kofi in the finish shute and over the line we went. I had finshed faster than I had dared hope and I was so pleased with my run, and that I had at least enjoyed a portion of the day. Gary and Paul were there both looking very green and grim. Chris, Dom and the kids headed back to the tents and Mark and I saw the last Dealie finish an hour or so later. The walk back to the campsite seemed very, very long, by the time I got to the tent, I didn't have the energy to go and shower so I spent a fitful night feeling very sore and grimey. Yuk!


Chantal Wayman F35-39 Swim 01:15:36 Bike 07:59:23 Run 04:35:24 Finish 14:04:36

Mark 13.34
Paul 13.41
Gary 13.44
Big thanks to Dom, Nikki, Shannon, Dominique, Simon, Tilly, Indie and Kofi for coming to watch and cheer us on. Extra big thanks and love to Chris who now knows what it feels like to be an Iron-widow! And for being my bike mechanic. Happy 10th wedding anniversary for tomorrow! xxx

2 comments:

Simon said...

Outstanding - WELL DONE - you are an IRONMAN. They should be graded 1-5, 1 being the easiest and 5 being the hardest - needless to say this would be a 5.

Emma said...

Hey Chantel, I asked Simon to pass on some good luck for you sounds like you didn't need it. What a fantastic day. You deserve to be well and truly stoked. The sound of icy cold water puts me off of signing up for IM UK straight away - I am such a wimp. Maybe you will come do Langkawi with us next? Check out the blog www.teamtrihard.blogspot.com
Well done again, great Acheivment. Enjoy the rest, beer and eating and not to forget bragging rights!!!
Emma.