Welcome!

Well here we are living in deepest East Kent. It's better than it sounds!

Thursday, September 04, 2008

Off to Ironman UK - Sherbourne, Dorset

Tomorrow we are driving down to Sherbourne in Dorset for Sunday's Ironman race, normally it'd be me and the kids supporting Chris, but this year I have the pleasure of the 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike and 26.2 mile run! Chris, Dom and the kids will be there cheering me on...

The weather is awful at the moment, very very windy, very wet and rainy....and you guessed it, we are camping in Sherbourne of course! We thought it couldn't possibly be bad weather two years in a row - wrong! The prospect of gale force head winds on the 112 mile hilly bike (which I was already going to struggle with) is not sitting too easily with me as you can imagine.

Since new year's day, I have run 510 miles, swum 100km and biked 1020 miles....sound alot? Well in ironman training terms, it isn't really especially the amount of biking I have done. But I have done as much as being a mum of little ones and circumstances have allowed. At times I have felt like I had taken on an impossible task and throwing in the towel, but being a stubborn cow, I kept at it. Chris has been incredibly supportive, urging me to train whenever possible, always ready to take over with the kids so I could train or race.

Who knows what adventures Sunday will bring, definitely alot of pain and hard work, just hoping the wind drops, my bike holds together and the hills aren't as bad as in my dreams! If I finish, I will be over the moon, the time cut off for completion is 17 hours which will be about 11pm Sunday night. You can follow my progress online on http://www.ironmanlive.com/
(look out for training pals and fellow Dealies, Paul McGeehan, Gary Winstanley, Mark Sayer, Tim Malpass and Ed Smith)

As a certain Mr Cross said, and I paraphrase, it takes alot to be brave enough to simply be on an ironman start line.....I'll be there.........wish me luck, I might need a bit!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey chantal, will definitely be thinking of you n cheering for you this sunday. loads and loads of luck. shilpa

Simon said...

I'm so excited for you. Yes it's going to be tough but then would it be worth doing if it wasn't. You'll be fine - if it's windy it may be a struggle on the bike but not insurmountable and I've seen you run so I've no doubt you'll ace that. Good luck, we'll be watching. Sx4